Unless otherwise provided by law, all medical records and payment records, and the information contained in medical records and payment records, are privileged and confidential under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information will only be disclosed as authorized by state or federal law or written authorization signed by the patient or the patient’s health care decision maker.
Exceptions to confidentiality are required by law and include:
- Essential information during an emergency.
- Information regarding a threat or danger to yourself.
- Information regarding a threat or danger to others.
- Information regarding abuse, neglect, or domestic violence.
- In the event a subpoena is filed requesting patient information.